Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Super Mom

I suppose while raising kids life will always feel like we're adjusting to a 'new normal'.  As soon as we think we have a pattern of behavior figured out, it changes.  Can I get an 'AMEN' from any parents out there??

Take, for example, Big Brother's favorite saying (LAST week): "I can't!"  I was brainstorming with my Mom different ways to respond to this saying because it had me stumped.  So, she asked me yesterday, "How's Big Brother doing with 'I can't'?" I thought about it for a second and realized we weren't battling that 'saying' this week.  Huh.  This week I'm pretty sure we're back to the not-so-innocent question 'whhhyy?' and I've got to be honest, I don't always have the greatest attitude or patience when answering that question.  Something about how I have to really engage my reasoning and logic when interacting with Big Brother really wears me out some days!

With Little Brother, I'm constantly trying to figure out his feedings - timing them, why he gets mad during some of them and not during others, if something I am eating causes him digestion issues,  when I should pump to make sure I have enough supply on hand for when I'm teaching, etc. etc.  AND once again, he stumps me time after time.  Being up multiple times a night, even when these interruptions in my sleep fall into patterns, is still tiring.

So - I guess part of my new normal is learning how to function on less sleep (for L.B.) with GREATER brain capacity to 'parent' Big Brother.  Hmm ... sounds a little bit like I need to put on my super mom cape.  Now if only I could fly ...




No comments:

Post a Comment